HeForShe, is a solidarity movement for the advancement of gender equality, initiated by the United Nations. Grounded in the idea that gender inequality is an issue that affects all people, socially, economically and politically, HeForShe is a global effort that seeks to involve men and boys in achieving equality by taking action against negative gender stereotypes and behaviors. HKU, under the umbrella organization of UN Women, became the first university in the world to sign on as a HeForShe impact champion, committing to strive for gender equality on campus.
The WSRC has been involved in providing support and expertise in furthering this cause. Examples of activities organized include co-organising talks on such topics as the gender gap in examination results and women in Hong Kong politics, and helping to organise and promote the HeForShe Reading Group and the ‘Gender Plus Series’ of interdisciplinary seminars. Under the latter, for example, the ‘Gender Plus Law’ subset hosted visits by two Canadian Supreme Court justices, including its first female Chief Justice, the Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin.
Please find below all the HeForShe events organized by WSRC.
- Tue, 11 AprRun Run Shaw Tower, Lung Fu Shan, Hong KongApril 11, 2017 @ 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
- Wed, 29 MarRun Run Shaw Tower, Lung Fu Shan, Hong KongMarch 29, 2017 @ 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Tue, 08 NovCentennial Campus, HKU, 78 Pok Fu Lam Rd, Sai Wan, Hong KongNovember 8, 2016 @ 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
- Wed, 12 OctRun Run Shaw Tower, Lung Fu Shan, Hong KongOctober 12, 2016 @ 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
- Thu, 03 MarCentennial Campus, HKU, 78 Pok Fu Lam Rd, Sai Wan, Hong KongMarch 3, 2016 @ 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM